octeon-usb and dwc2 in staging are for the same hw

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Aug 16 13:01:50 UTC 2013

Hi Aaro and Paul,

It was just pointed out to me by Sebastian that it looks like both the
octeon-usb and dwc2 drivers in drivers/staging/ are for the same exact
hardware core.

Were you two aware of this?

As the dwc2 code seems to be the "more mature" codebase, any objection
to me deleting the octeon-usb driver?

Aaro, as there is no MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() set up for the octeon-usb
code, and your module_init() function where you grab the hardware is,
let's just say, "odd"[1], it's really hard to determine what hardware
platforms this code even runs on.  Any hints?

[1] A "raw" driver_register call?  Are you crazy[2]?  Yeah, I see a
    _few_ other drivers doing that in the kernel tree, but now that I've
    noticed this, I'm going to go yell at all of those authors as
    well...

[2] I don't think you have tested to see what happens if you load this
    driver on a system _without_ the hardware in it, right?