Fwd: About Beceem WiMAX Module

Kevin McKinney klmckinney1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 16:06:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> Hi Muhammad, Linus forwarded me your email about this topic, hope that's
> ok.  See the bottom for my comments, the entire email is quoted to get
> Kevin up to speed on this.

If device id "0x132" is rarely used, then I think we still have to support it.

>> people using Virgin Mobile U760, Franklin Wireless u600 etc which have
>> another device ids.
>>
>> I did a commit on your repo at
>> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/staging/bcm/
>> InterfaceInit.h.
>>
>> At line 14, the following text
>>
>> #define BCM_USB_PRODUCT_ID_226 0x0132 /* not sure if this is valid */
>>
>> was changed to
>>
>> #define BCM_USB_PRODUCT_ID_226 0x0173 /* ZTE AX326 */
>>
>> Shouldn't this be approved?
>>
>> I have devices with id 19d2:0172, 19d2:0173, 198f:015e also. So if any
>> help will be provided if anyone is interested. Feel free to ask any
>> question regarding this device/module/api.
>
> Kevin, you added the "not sure if this is valid" comment here, should it
> be removed?  And we should just add the 0x173 device id also, right?

I submitted a patch a while back (Sep 11, 2012) to add device id of
"0x172" to the staging-next branch.  I did not remove device id of
"0x132" because I was not certain if it was valid. If Muhammad can
confirm that this device id is not needed, then we should remove it.
However, if it is used, but only rarely; I think we still need to
support it.

Muhammad, is that device id totally invalid, or is it valid but rarely used?

> Muhammad, can you send me a patch for this in the format described in
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches so that I can add the new device id to
> the driver?  And if you have people reporting other device ids, please
> also send on those changes as well.

Thanks,
Kevin