[RFC] mm: add support for zsmalloc and zcache

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk konrad at kernel.org
Fri Nov 2 16:14:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 04:45:14PM -0500, Seth Jennings wrote:
> On 10/02/2012 01:17 PM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> > If so, <shake hands> and move forward?  What do you see as next steps?
>
> I've been reviewing the changes between zcache and zcache2 and getting
> a feel for the scope and direction of those changes.
>
> - Getting the community engaged to review zcache1 at ~2300SLOC was
>   difficult.
> - Adding RAMSter has meant adding RAMSter-specific code broadly across
>   zcache and increases the size of code to review to ~7600SLOC.

One can ignore the drivers/staging/ramster/ramster* directory.

> - The changes have blurred zcache's internal layering and increased
>   complexity beyond what a simple SLOC metric can reflect.

Not sure I see a problem.
> - Getting the community engaged in reviewing zcache2 will be difficult
>   and will require an exceptional amount of effort for maintainer and
>   reviewer.

Exceptional? I think if we start trimming the code down and moving it
around - and moving the 'ramster' specific calls to header files to
not be compiled - that should make it easier to read.

I mean the goal of any review is to address all of the concern you saw
when you were looking over the code. You probably have a page of
questions you asked yourself - and in all likehood the other reviewers
would ask the same questions. So if you address them - either by
giving comments or making the code easier to read - that would do it.

> It is difficult for me to know when it could be ready for mainline and
> production use.  While zcache2 isn't getting broad code reviews yet,
> how do suggest managing that complexity to make the code maintainable
> and get it reviewed?

There are Mel's feedback that is also applicable to zcache2.

Thanks for looking at the code!