Howto consolidate xgifb (staging) with sisfb

Aaro Koskinen aaro.koskinen at iki.fi
Tue Mar 20 21:06:12 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:02:39AM +0100, Peter Hüwe wrote:
> I'm currently trying to improve the xgifb driver from staging a bit and my
> final goal is to probably merge this driver with the sis driver (as both card
> families seem to have a lot in common).
>
> However I'm a little bit unsure how to proceed here.

I would first continue deleting unused dead code and definitions from the
staging driver. We have already removed maybe 10000 lines of code without
a loss of functionality, and I believe there is still more work to do.

Then with the remaining code, we could start thinking how to consolidate
the stuff with sisfb. Or even with the other fb drivers, I don't think
stuff like bpp_to_var is specific to these two drivers.

And once xgifb is cleaned up, the partial XGI support would be dropped
from sisfb.

A.