[patch] staging: comedi: cleanup comedi_recognize()

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 11:20:10 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-06 10:49, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:45:43AM +0200, walter harms wrote:

>>> To be pedantic, it's really returning a pointer to some member of type
>>> 'const char *' within a private struct.  To make life easier for
>>> themselves, those drivers make that the first member of the private
>>> struct so a void pointer to the member is also a void pointer to the
>>> struct.
>>>

>> I do not like it. It is confusing.
>
> Yep.

But at least the confusion is concentrated in a single place!  From the
individual drivers' point of view it's fairly simple (as long as it puts
the 'const char pointer to board name' member at the top of its private
data structure).

>> Are these struct comedi_driver *driv of different size every time ?
>
> Nope.

It's the private board information data structures for each driver that
are different sizes, but the size is passed in the comedi comedi_driver
'offset' member along with the 'board_name' and 'num_names' members.
Not all drivers set those members and just use the 'driver_name' to
match any supported device, but I digress.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-