0xB16B00B5? Really? (was Re: Move hyperv out of the drivers/staging/ directory)

Borislav Petkov bp at alien8.de
Thu Jul 19 15:30:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 02:11:47AM +0000, KY Srinivasan wrote:
> As I noted earlier, this is just a guest ID that needs to be
> registered with the hypervisor. Thanks for reporting this issue and
> on behalf of Microsoft, I would like to apologize for this offensive
> string. I have submitted a patch to fix this issue.

Ok, quick question:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542653%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

says that that guest ID encodes a bunch of version numbers and IDs
pertaining to the guest OS. And in that case, I would've thought
you'd encode kernel versions or whatever like it is done with
LINUX_VERSION_CODE, for example.

How does this define fit with that scheme or was it chosen completely
arbitrarily?

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,