Removal of ccg

Greg Kroah-Hartmann gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Aug 15 14:19:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 04:10:46PM +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> On 08/15/2012 03:30 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartmann wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:36:14AM +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> >>On the TODO list I read convert from sysfs to configfs. Great. That
> >>means it should become what I suggested some time ago.
> >>
> >>The ccg code is thight on sysfs, there is hardly generic code available
> >>which could be reused with the configfs interface.
> >>So can we remove ccg from staging right away? I don't see the point in
> >>keeping it. The user interface changes completely. And while I convert
> >>in tree gadgets / composite users I have to update ccg for no reason.
> >>Ach, I am probably okay with helping Andrzej with his configfs work.
> >>
> >>Okay to remove it?
> >
> >Why would you remove it if people are still using it today?  Don't you
> >want to fix it up properly and move it into the real part of the kernel
> >instead?
>
> This does not solve all problems and provides a sysfs based interface.

That's why it is in the staging tree, but it's also there because people
are using and relying on it at the moment.

> The TODO list says convert to configfs. That means it will be basically
> written from scratch. The logic is different in many places. By the
> time we did everything step by step on ccg we could probably add
> configfs thrice. Well maybe not as it depends on man power…

That doesn't mean you can just delete the thing, sorry.

> Now look at the nokia gadget. Add more functions to it and add a few
> sysfs to enable / disable the functions. Now allow to store VID/PID
> attributes. Where are you? Almost at what ccg can offer today.

Ok, then do that work, and if it is the same functionality, and you can
get the userspace code that relies on this to be fixed up, great, then
you can delete it.