[RFC/PATCH] zcache/ramster rewrite and promotion

Pekka Enberg penberg at kernel.org
Mon Aug 6 17:13:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Dan Magenheimer
<dan.magenheimer at oracle.com> wrote:
> Hmmm.. there's also zbud.c and tmem.c which are critical components
> of both zcache and ramster.  And there are header files as well which
> will need to either be in mm/ or somewhere in include/linux/
>
> Is there a reason or rule that mm/ can't have subdirectories?
>
> Since zcache has at least three .c files plus ramster.c, and
> since mm/frontswap.c and mm/cleancache.c are the foundation on
> which all of these are built, I was thinking grouping all six
> (plus headers) in the same mm/tmem/ subdirectory was a good
> way to keep mm/ from continuing to get more cluttered... not counting
> new zcache and ramster files, there are now 74 .c files in mm/!
> (Personally, I think a directory has too many files in it if
> "ls" doesn't fit in a 25x80 window.)
>
> Thoughts?

There's no reason we can't have subdirectories. That said, I really
don't see the point of having a separate directory called 'tmem'. It
might make sense to have mm/zcache and/or mm/ramster but I suspect
you can just fold the core code in mm/zcache.c and mm/ramster.c by
slimming down the weird Solaris-like 'tmem' abstractions.

                        Pekka