VME and the staging tree

Emilio G. Cota cota at braap.org
Wed Apr 25 20:03:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:25:32 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> I have reviewed the code, and only have one major comment at this point
> in time:
>
> What's up with the device ioctl in
> drivers/staging/vme/devices/vme_user.c?  In the code, it says this is
> something that should not be used, yet there is lots of code in the
> ioctl itself, implying that it is used?  There's also lots of comments
> in the function saying things should be fixed up.
>
> Is this ioctl still needed?  Can I just remove it and all will be fine?
> If so, I'll be glad to do so.

IIRC vme_user is just there to provide backwards compatibility with
the old VME driver hosted at vmelinux.org--the IOCTL thus comes imposed
by that old interface.

I don't think there are any users of it (please Martyn confirm this),
so I'd advocate for getting rid of vme_user.[ch] altogether.

		Emilio