possible rtl8192 driver bug: rtl8192ce:rtl92ce_hw_init():<0-0> Init MAC failed

Dan Carpenter dan.carpenter at oracle.com
Wed Apr 4 06:59:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 01:54:00PM +0800, 俞晓磊 wrote:
> Hi Developers,
> I am experiencing issues with rtl8192 drivers on an MSI X370 laptop
> with Ubuntu 11.10 AMD64 :
> The driver works fine upon a fresh boot (not exactly, see explanations
> below), but not after toggling the hard rfkill switch.
> I think that might be a driver issue, and I am willing to provide more
> information if that would be helpful.
>
> Here are what I have gathered (reproducible every time):
> 1. Boot. The kernel is not detecting the device if hard rfkill is
> enabled before boot (this seems to be a kernel bug, but can be
> workarounded by pci rescan), otherwise the device is detected and
> driver is loaded. The driver works either way the first time it is
> loaded.
> 2. Enable hard rfkill. I found 'udevadm monitor' output nothing
> regarding this action, and /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill*/hard reads
> constant "0".
> 3. Disable hard rfkill. From now on the driver no longer works until
> next boot. I tried rmmod/modprobe with no success
>
> I will try the tarball from Realtek to see if there is any difference.

Don't waste your time with the tarball.

Unfortunately on this list, we only support the latest kernel.org
kernels (3.3 or 3.4-rc1).  Otherwise you'd have to go to ubuntu for
support.  So if you can compile your own kernel, then please try the
kernel.org kernel otherwise try the ubuntu forums.

regards,
dan carpenter