vmbus driver

KY Srinivasan kys at microsoft.com
Fri May 20 13:12:32 UTC 2011

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christoph Hellwig [mailto:hch at infradead.org]
> Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 8:27 AM
> To: KY Srinivasan
> Cc: gregkh at suse.de; linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org;
> devel at linuxdriverproject.org; virtualization at lists.osdl.org
> Subject: Re: vmbus driver
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 03:06:25PM -0700, K. Y. Srinivasan wrote:
> > A few days ago you applied all the outstanding patches for the Hyper-V
> > drivers. With these patches, I have addressed all of the known review
> > comments for the  vmbus driver (and a lot of comments/issues in other
> > drivers as well). I am still hoping I can address
> > whatever other issues/comments there might be with the intention to
> > get the vmbus driver out of staging in the current window. What is your
> > sense in terms of how feasible this is. From my side, I can assure you
> > that I will address all legitimate issues in a very timely manner and this
> > will not be dependent upon the location of the drivers (staging or
> > outside staging). Looking forward to hearing from you.
> There's no point in merging it without a user.  Make sure either
> the network or storage driver is in a good enough shape to move with it,
> to make sure the APIs it exports are actually sanely usable.

Well, the util driver that implements a range of other services such as KVP, 
time synch, heartbeat etc. is also a client of the vmbus driver (perhaps not in the 
same way as the storage and network drivers). I  was hoping  to
move the util driver out of staging along with the vmbus driver.

On a different note, thanks to the feedback I got from you, Greg and others,
both storage and network drivers are in a much better shape than they ever were.
I will continue to cleanup the storage drivers and I would greatly appreciate your 
feedback and review. 

> On the other hand the HV clocksource looks mostly mergeable and doesn't
> depend on vmbus.  Send a patch to add it to drivers/clocksource to the
> maintainer and it should be mergeable with very little remaining
> cleanup.

Agreed, now that the merge window is closed, I will have to wait for a few weeks.


K. Y

More information about the devel mailing list