Marvell D2Plug

saeed bishara saeed.bishara at gmail.com
Mon May 16 08:20:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 03:11:21PM +0300, saeed bishara wrote:
>> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 10:57 AM, saeed bishara <saeed.bishara at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >    Marvell is looking to improve the mainline support of its new plug
>> > (http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-8-d2plug.aspx)
>> >  this plug is based on the ARMADA 510 SoC
>> > (http://www.marvell.com/products/processors/applications/armada_500/Marvell_Armada510_SoC.pdf),
>> > we have added basic support to this SoC into mainline kernel (under
>> > arch/arm/mach-dove), but there still a lot of features/drivers
>> > missing, and we would like to work with community developers on this.
>> >   Right now Marvell is working on disclosed version of the spec of
>> > this SoC, and will provide need information for developers. and we are
>> > ready to send - for free - some D2plugs for active developers those
>> > willing to contribute.
>> >   as I said, the mainline have basic support for this SoC (aka dove),
>> > but there are a lot of drivers/features that missing: lcd driver,
>> > power management, nand driver, etc. so if you are interested in
>> > pushing those features to mainline, please let me know.
>> >
>> > saeed
>> >
>> please note that Marvell provides Linux kernel (based on 2.6.32) for
>> this device, but this kernel is not written according to kernel coding
>> style, but can be very useful as reference. here is a link to git tree
>> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ycmiao/ubuntu-maverick.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/mvl-dove;hb=refs/heads/mvl-dove
>
> Is that the tree with the drivers as well?
yes, it includes all the drivers/features.

> Do you want us to pick things out here, or go off of a more recent tree
> given the above mention of merging the arch-specific stuff to mainline?
a lot of stuff need to be re-written according to new APIs and linux
coding style, so I don't thinks it can be merge to staging tree,

> Oh, and do you also need help with the arch-specific code as well, given
> the recent changes in how the ARM developers are working with the rest
> of the kernel community?  If so, we (well, at least I) can help out
> there.
yes, sure. the current mainline already includes basic support for the
dove soc. but a lot of features. still missing, for example, the
support for the D2plug board, clock management etc. I was planning to
add this support by myself, but, as you mentioned, this will not be
easy to do as it used to be. so maybe we have to do it using
devicetree. so it will be great if somebody can help with that.