Problem in vt6655 driver

Piotr Kaczorek piotrkaczorek at bluetrace.eu
Sat May 14 06:50:58 UTC 2011

W dniu 13.05.2011 21:06, Greg KH pisze:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 03:46:56PM +0200, Piotr Kaczorek wrote:
>> I'm using vt6655 driver from 2.6.38 kernel for my wifi card. It's
>> set up as access point (using modified script from VIA's native
>> drivers - attached in package).
> Right there you are probably alone in doing this.  Running the device as
> an access point is something that I doubt the code really was ever
> tested for at all.
>
>> I'd like to know if there is a possibility to run this card in
>> monitor mode? It would be best if I could run AP and monitor modes
>> at the same time (maybe on separate interfaces?).
>>
>> I also found a problem with sent packets. My setup is quite strange
>> - my AP doesn't give access to the internet but substitutes any
>> request with my page hosted on AP itself (kind of captive portal).
>> There is a dnsmasq set to provide DHCP and DNS pointing to hotspot
>> itself. All packets coming from eth1 are intercepted by iptables (-A
>> PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp -j DNAT --to-destination
>> 192.168.100.1:8180). On port 8180 i have nginx serving website.
>> The page is sent correct but images seem to break while being sent
>> (on mobile phones i can't see them in the browser or can see only
>> part of them, on windows however whole content is sent correctly).
>> I attach packet dumps from three devices i'm testing it on -
>> SonyEricsson P1i (Opera Mobile), BlackBerry Curve 8520 (their native
>> browser) and laptop with Window VIsta installed (FF4.0). Each
>> contains one request to some 'made up' url.
> You should be happey that you are even getting this to work at all :)
>
> And I think you are really on your own here, any patches that you could
> provide to resolve any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.
>
> good luck,
>
> greg k-h

I am really happy that it works, and thanks guys for doing a great work.
Problem is that our customers won't be satisfied with 'thats the way it
works' and i'm responsible for setting it all up :)
I'm not a kernel hacker so maybe at least someone will give me a hint
where should i start searching for it? I don't even know how hotspot -
client communication works from the inside.