new utility kernel module for detecting cores in newer chipsets

Arend van Spriel arend at broadcom.com
Sun Mar 20 17:04:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:07:18 +0100, George Kashperko <george at znau.edu.ua>
wrote:

>> I don't want to have support for AI in 10 places, even if this is
>> about staging area.
>>
> Agree here completely. The only arguable point here I think could be
> that AXI and SB should be different drivers but honestly they are too
> much similar softwire-wise to even be placed in separate directories if
> only bus managing code model is designed well.

Agree and a valid point at that as one would typically need either ssb or
axi support. If with a little refactoring the ssb tree can provide two
separate drivers that is fine by me if the axi flavour is not burdened by
shortcomings of the the ssb driver, which you are said to have pointed out
(I missed most of the discussion about this, sorry). In brcm80211 we have
two drivers and one typically needs the ssb support and the other axi
support. We abstracted the core access (not judging how well we did that)
with an additional layer but there is actually no need when having
separate drivers requiring either one or the other interconnect support.

Depending on the driver it may depend on one of them or both, but with two
separate modules this choice is up to the driver which makes most sense to
me.

Gr. AvS
--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human