VT6656-driver works even worse since 2.6.38

Joey Lee jlee at novell.com
Tue Jun 21 11:00:12 UTC 2011

於 二,2011-06-21 於 10:25 +0200,Max Görner 提到:
> Hi,
> I'm using the "Point of View" netbook "Mobii", which has got a
> "VNT-6656" wlan stick hardwired. This wlan stick does not work properly,
> and Greg Kroahs e-mail bot told me to write you.
>
> Long story short:
> lsusb:
> $ lsusb -s 002
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 160a:3184 VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VNT-6656
> [WiFi 802.11b/g USB Dongle]
> I'm using Ubuntu. Until and including Ubuntu 10.10 I wasn't able to
> connect to WPA/WPA2-mixed-mode protected WLAN. Ubuntu 10.10 used kernel
> 2.6.35, I'm pretty sure I tried mainline-kernels as well, but can't
> promise.
> Since I switched to Ubuntu 11.04, I am also unable to connect to WEP
> 802.1X- and to WPA and to WPA2-protected WLAN. I hadn't the possibility
> to test WEP yet. I tried kernels 2.6.38 and 2.6.39 under Ubuntu 11.04. I
> wasn't able to enable kernel 3.0 yet.
>
> My quesitions are pretty basic:
> 1) Where to report a bug to? I found bugzilla.kernel.org, the two bugs
> according to VNT6656 or VT6656 weren't attended so much. So maybe this
> is the wrong place.

Please file but on bugzila.kernel.org, that will be better for collect
any information related to your issue and don't need dig our mail loop.

> 2) Is there a workaround? An even more experimental driver than those in
> the staging section?
>
> I am willed to help as good as possible, which includes testing
> experimental drivers and give more details about the problems, for
> example logs about failed connection attempts.
>
> sincerely,
> Max Görner

Did you try vt6656 driver in staging ?
	vt6656_stage.ko

please use:
	lsmod | grep vt6656_stage

to check, then try to probe it:
	modprobe vt6656_stage

Then try to connect to access point and please attached dmesg
information on your bug.

Thank's a lot!
Joey Lee