what is going on with the westbridge code in the kernel?

David Cross odc at cypress.com
Mon Jul 11 21:57:21 UTC 2011

hi greg,

>> I noticed that it has been quite a while since you last submitted a
>> patch for the drivers/staging/westbridge/ code in the kernel tree
>> (October 5, 2010 to be exact.)

Pretty much true, although Sutharsan did post a few patches since then.

>> Part of being in the staging tree involves the constant development of
>> the code to be reworked into something that is acceptable for merging
>> into the mainline kernel.  As it seems like the development of this has
>> stalled, should I just delete the driver for now?

>> If you ever pick it up again in the future, it is trivial to revert the
>> deletion and continue on with it.

Given that it is trivial to revert the deletion, I think this is a good plan.

>> Or are you going to start working on it again?  If so, what are your
>> plans?

>> Let me know what you want me to do.

I would like to start working on it again, but just have not had the time for it. Some of the reason for the lack or priority had been the resistance from the community for any form of file based DMA. Without this component, I am not really sure how useful getting the driver into the mainline is.
Thanks a lot for your help getting this into the staging area. I expect to start working on it again in the future such that this effort won't be wasted. However, since I don't have a definite timeline, I think we can delete for now. Should I be taking a snapshot in order to make sure that the effort won't be lost or can I rely on the open source mechanisms to be able to retrieve from a kernel tree?

thanks,

david