r8712u in staging, iwconfig trouble

Mads mads at ab3.no
Sat Jan 8 17:29:07 UTC 2011

Having trouble with r8712u, I heard this was the best place to ask...

> CONFIG_R8712_AP: This option allows the Realtek RTL8712 USB device to be
an Access Point.

I've enabled this option, and built r8712u as a module, but I can't seem
to set the essid. I can't get the command "iwconfig wlan0 essid
<whatever>"
to work.

Here follows a log from my testing:

Lemote ~ # uname -a
Linux Lemote 2.6.37 #3 PREEMPT Thu Jan 6 16:17:30 CET 2011 mips64 ICT
Loongson-2 V0.3 FPU V0.1 lemote-fuloong-2f-box GNU/Linux
Lemote ~ # modprobe r8712u
Lemote ~ # dmesg | tail -8
r8712u: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you
have been warned.
r8712u: DriverVersion: v7_0.20100831
r8712u: register rtl8712_netdev_ops to netdev_ops
r8712u: USB_SPEED_HIGH with 4 endpoints
r8712u: Boot from EFUSE: Autoload OK
r8712u: CustomerID = 0x0000
r8712u: MAC Address from efuse = 00:08:a1:c6:c0:5c
usbcore: registered new interface driver r8712u
Lemote ~ # iwconfig wlan0 essid "test"
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted.
Lemote ~ # ifconfig wlan0 up
Lemote ~ # iwconfig wlan0 essid "test"
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation now in progress.
Lemote ~ # iwconfig wlan0 essid "test"
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation now in progress.
Lemote ~ # iwconfig wlan0 essid "test"
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation now in progress.
Lemote ~ # iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     unassociated  Nickname:"rtl_wifi"
          Mode:Auto  Access Point: Not-Associated   Sensitivity:0/0
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Lemote ~ # iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
Lemote ~ # iwconfig wlan0 essid test
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation now in progress.
Lemote ~ # iwconfig wlan0 essid test
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation now in progress.
Lemote ~ # iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     unassociated  Nickname:"rtl_wifi"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Sensitivity:0/0
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Lemote ~ #

I understand this is a staging driver, just added from realtek's driver
base, but I can only get it to work as a normal client using
wpa_supplicant. My distant goal would be to use the card as an access
point, but for me to do so, I think I must be able to use iwconfig...

Hope someone can point me in the right direction!

- Mads