forward porting drivers of s3c-based ebook reader platform

Heiko Stübner mmind at debian.org
Wed Jan 5 15:06:15 UTC 2011

[please keep the cc to Alexander, thanks]

Am Mittwoch 05 Januar 2011 schrieb Belisko Marek:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Heiko Stübner <mmind at debian.org> wrote:
> > last words
> > ==========
> >
> > So if anyone more experienced with kernel development could lend us a
> > hand with porting (and cleaning) any of this stuff I would be really
> > grateful.
>
> Don't want to say I'm more experienced but can help with cleaning or
> porting u-boot adaptions or whatever. Just lemme know.

The basic problem is essentially threefold:

- the stuff has to be ported accross 4 years of kernel development
- the implementations of the s3c-architecture in the vendor kernel and the
mailine kernel don't seem to be related at all or were changed much
- one would need a sane scheme on how to handle the differences between the
submodels. At the moment they use clauses like "if modelX || modelY ... else
... endif" where each respective model is listed

The soundchip parts for example look reasonably clean, i.e. they don't have
that many real customizations in them. Mostly stuff thats commented out
already.

Implementing the power/regulator stuff might be easy (or not) because similar
chips seem to be in the kernel i.e. charger bq24022 in kernel vs. bq24075 in
the devices. But one would need the knowledge about these things :-) .
[Also many tps6502XX regulator drivers are in the mainline kernel but not the
specific TPS650240]