brcmsmac driver only works when sitting next to the AP

Camaleón noelamac at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 11:27:37 UTC 2011

El 2011-08-22 a las 12:03 +0200, Roland Vossen escribió:

> Hello Camaleón,
>
>> Okay, I finally managed to compile a kernel with the required flag
>> enabled and booted with it. I am attaching the resulting trace file,
>> should you need additional information, kindly ask.
>
> thanks! I did the same thing on my setup and diff'ed the resulting trace
> file with yours. I spotted a difference but it should not be relevant:
>
> (your trace): drv_prepare_multicast: phy0 prepare mc (5)
> (my trace): drv_prepare_multicast: phy0 prepare mc (1)
>
> I am wondering if the problem could be explained by a RF kill switch
> being active. Can you send me the output of 'rfkill list' and 'lsmod' ?

root at stt300:~# rfkill list
0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

"lsmod" is attached.

> Are there wireless-related LEDs on your machine and do they act
> differently between kernel 3.0.1 and 2.6.39-2 ?

There is one led, the one to enable/disable wifi and bluetooh but it
behaves the same in both kernels.

One difference, though, is that now (with kernel 3.0.0) when I shutdown
the system it hangs at NetworkManager if wifi LED is on. As soon as I
turn off the wifi led, the system can continue the shutdown.

Moreover, "service network-manager stop" returns "failed" unless I
first turn off the wifi led (and so phy0 hard blocked is set as "yes").

> Can you do a 'rfkill unblock all' to see if that makes a difference ?

It makes no difference. No wifi networks are detected automatically nor
connecting manually to a hidden network is possible (unless I sit next
to the AP).

Just in case this helps, I have tried another wifi adapater (USB, based
on rt2xx chipset) and works like a charm, I mean, it detects the
avialbale wifi networks and automatically stablishes a connection with
mine.

> Can you read this thread for more ideas:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1604665.html ?

I'm not sure what you want me to try... rfkill seems to be right and
"modprobe -r -f hp_wmi" causes no effect. OTOH, there is no wired cable
attached to the netbook.

> Let me know how this works out, if unsuccessful we'll have to dig a bit
> deeper.
>
> Thanks, Roland.

Thanks for the tips.

Greetings,