Why is dynamic debug disabled for staging drivers ?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Apr 6 14:13:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 03:54:37PM +0200, Roland Vossen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to replace the proprietary logging mechanism in brcm80211
> with a Linux mechanism. 'Dynamic debug' seemed to be a good fit.
> But, to my disappointment, I discovered that dynamic debugging is
> not supported for drivers from the staging dir:
>
> - staging drivers are marked tainted (ref:
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.38/kernel/module.c#L2417)
>
> - subsequently tainted drivers don't get dynamic debug goodies (ref:
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.38/kernel/module.c#L2792)
>
> I wonder if this is intentional behavior. Does anybody know ?

Ah, no it isn't.  I didn't realize that tainted modules didn't get
dynamic debug stuff, that's not nice.  I'd be glad to take a fix that
allows drivers tainted with the TAINT_CRAP flag to be able to use
dynamic debug.

In looking at that check, it probably can be fixed to just make sure
that the module name is unique (i.e. only a specific taint flag check)
which is the real goal of that check in module.c.