[ANN] Full-source Broadcom wireless driver for 11n chips

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu Sep 9 15:42:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:10:06AM -0700, Henry Ptasinski wrote:
> Broadcom would like to announce the initial release of a fully-open
> Linux driver for it's latest generation of 11n chipsets.  The driver,
> while still a work in progress, is released as full source and uses the
> native mac80211 stack.   It supports multiple current chips (BCM4313,
> BCM43224, BCM43225) as well as providing a framework for supporting
> additional chips in the future, including mac80211-aware embedded chips.
>   The README and TODO files included with the sources provide more
> details about the current feature set, known issues, and plans for
> improving the driver.
>
> The driver is currently available in staging-next git tree, available at:
>
> 	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging-next-2.6.git
>
> in the drivers/staging/brcm80211 directory.

Obviously we are all thrilled to see Broadcom take this step, which
I know involved a lot of soul-searching within their organization. :-)

I hope we can use this as a base for productive cooperation between
Broadcom's wireless folks and the greater Linux community for along
time to come!

John

P.S.  I knew that January 2007 meeting in London was good for something... :-)