Opinion about Linux Foundation courses

Kevin McKinney klmckinney1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 13:08:58 UTC 2010

Hi All,

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:45 AM, Andre Nogueira <andre.neo.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I understand you opinion Greg.
>
> There are lots of documentation about Linux Kernel. For example, I
> have been studying  "Linux Kernel Development 3rd Edition".

I am a newbie also and have read/studied tons of books on the Linux
kernel over the last three years; however, the best way to learn the
kernel and device drivers is to take on a small project.  By doing
this I have learned so much more.

Some very helpful documentation reside on the https://help.ubuntu.com
site. However I need more documentation, specifically on debugging the
arm/armel kernel that eventually gets ported to an embedded device.
Can someone send documentation on this?

In addition, I spent a lot of time trying to create a serial TTL port
to RS232 serial cable with no luck. I understand the need for this;
(to boot into a specific kernel); however I am not sure how to create
this cable.  I was able to boot into a kernel of my choosing a
different way; but can someone provide guidance on the creation of the
cable for my own edification.

Thanks,
Kevin