Commit messages to the list (was Re: patch "Subject: Staging: cxt1e1: fix cxt1e1 module names" added to staging-next tree)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue May 4 03:13:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 04:38:28PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 04:06:02PM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 15:40 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > No, 'git am' does not preserve that.  I run the script on the output of
> > > 'git format-patch staging-next..HEAD' when I'm done committing a bunch
> > > of patches that people have sent me.
> >
> > You should use a git hook like git post-applypatch
> > http://rsync.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/docs/v1.3.3/hooks.html
>
> Do you have access to the whole mail message at that time, with the
> message id?
>
> But, note that I only want it when the patch is actually commited to the
> correct branch, not my "work" branch due to me having to back out lots
> of problem patches that people send me.

And I don't want to flood the list with commit messages when I merge
with Linus's tree after he syncs up with me and I fast-forward.

Again, what's wrong with the rss feed of the tree?  Yes, you might have
a problem syncing some of the patches up with the commits by doing a
straight search of the subject: line, but it should not be that hard to
do.