What's the staging review and acceptance process?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Apr 22 09:17:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:49:02 -0700
Greg KH <gregkh at suse.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 09:25:57PM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 20:45 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > That caused the huge backlog staring at
> > > me right now.
> >
> > Which likely discouraged the new contributors who
> > submitted stuff still in that backlog.
>
> While a series of unfortunate events did happen to cause this, do you
> have any evidence of this causing people to go away?

Subjectively the answer is yes I think. More quantatively it was the case.
I did some measurements long ago with 2.4-ac and there was direct and
clear connection between two things and patch submission/activity levels.
One was 'cycle time' (ie time from submit->response->tree) - the other was
putting the name of the contributor in the per -ac patch summaries that
used to get mailed out.

Alan