wireless drivers in staging

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Fri Sep 18 23:09:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 01:20:10PM -0700, Jim Lieb wrote:
> On Monday 14 September 2009 12:10:11 Harald Welte wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > There are no data sheets or user manuals, sorry.  So there simply is nothing
> > that I could push VIA into releasing.
> >
> > > I skimmed Forest's reference to Christoph's LKML and the list for the new/other
> > > driver.   [...]
> > > I do have one question:  It appears they are working on just the vt6656 (usb)
> > > version.
> >
> > Yes, this is true.  hch originally wanted to work on the vt6655 (pci), but VIA
> > indicated that the vt6655 is not really recommended for new designs, but the
> > vt6656 (usb) is what is havily used in new designs by netbooks and other devices.
> >
> > > Is anyone working on the mini-pci vt6655 in that group?
> >
> > No, there is no such work, and VIA has only provided sample hardware for the
> > vt6656 (usb) to hch's group.
> >
> > Regards,
> Forest,
>   Based on these comments and the fact that you filed the Launchpad bug and
> supplied me with the vt665[56] parts, what do you want done?  I can still help
> with the usb driver if there is no further interest in the mini-pci part.

Well, I guess it depends on how far out hch's vt6656 driver is.  If it is going
to be a few years before that driver is really usable there is probably value in
having staging drivers that work.  Obviously, they don't intend to support the
VT6655 part, so a working staging driver is useful there.

But it really is up to you.  I'm comfortable with whatever approach you think is
best.

Thanks,
Forest
--