Using mdio-gpio driver with smsc PHY driver (driver stacking?)

Amit Uttamchandani auttamchandani at canoga.com
Wed Sep 9 16:09:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 06:44:05AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 12:34:03AM -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> >
> > I am interested in using mdio-gpio driver to emulate the MDIO bus over
> > GPIO. This is needed to control the SMSC LAN 8700 PHY. Now, there is a
> > driver that already exists to control the phy (smsc.c).
> >
> > How do I 'connect' the two drivers? Do I write a new driver? Or do I use
> > the mdio-gpio to set up the necessary pins, and then the smsc.c phy
> > driver (which uses MDIO already) will automatically use the mdio over
> > gpio.
>
> The later option sounds like a good idea, have you tried this to see if
> it works?

Thanks for the reply Greg.

I haven't tried the latter option as I am not too sure how this is done.
I am thinking right now I have to load the driver (mdio-gpio) first. But
then after this I'm lost. Where do I configure which GPIO pins to use?
There must be some userspace app/config to do that correct?

Amit