staging panel driver

Peter Hüwe PeterHuewe at gmx.de
Thu Sep 3 19:42:20 UTC 2009

Am Thursday 03 September 2009 20:55:17 schrieb Greg KH:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 08:49:08PM +0200, Peter Huewe wrote:
> > >
> > >   while :; do
> > >      read key
> > >      case key in
> > >        'Up') ...
> > >      esac
> > >      echo "Blah"
> > >   done </dev/keypad >/dev/lcd

> Well, if it all can work in userspace using lcdproc, that's great.
>
> As long as everyone agrees that's the best way, I'll be glad to drop the
> driver, just let me know.

Hmm,
I'm not quite sure myself wether the driver is still useful or not.
The main 'disadvantage' of lcdproc is that you can't use simple shell pipes to
write something on the display (afaik), but rather you have to talk to the
LCDd (the lcdproc deamon) using sockets or by using telnet.
So something like echo "test" > /dev/lcd is unfortunately not possible, and
you can't write something to it from kernelspace directly.

Moreover another thing is, even if you really like writing code with sockets
(*g*), lcdproc has a rather extensive api [
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/current-dev.html#language ]
The deamon can handle multiple clients, which each can create multiple pages,
with different priorities - so it isn't as intuitive as a simple echo "test"
> /dev/lcd

Example session: (I indented lcdproc's responses)

telnet localhost 13666
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
hello
	connect LCDproc 0.5.2 protocol 0.3 lcd wid 20 hgt 2 cellwid 5 cellhgt 8
client_set -name Example
	success
screen_add myscreen
	success