Staging tree status for the .32 kernel merge

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz bzolnier at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 13:14:53 UTC 2009

On Thursday 03 September 2009 10:49:46 Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> > 	- rt* wireless drivers.  Bart has done amazing work merging all
> > 	  of these together into something much better than they
> > 	  originally were.  And even better, they still work!   Great
> > 	  job Bart!
>
> Work on the rt2x00 project has also progressed to a point where the
> drivers are getting much closer to being useful, so eventually all this
> work will have been in vain.

The end goal of this work has always been having native rt2x00 support
for all those chipsets (as have been explained multiple times).  If this
means that one day we will delete all Ralink drivers in staging in favor
of proper wireless drivers -- fine with me.

In the meantime (before clean and proper support becomes useful) Linux
users are provided with the possibility to use their hardware before it
becomes obsolete.