Staging tree status for the .32 kernel merge

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Thu Sep 3 08:49:46 UTC 2009

Hi Greg,

> 	- rt* wireless drivers.  Bart has done amazing work merging all
> 	  of these together into something much better than they
> 	  originally were.  And even better, they still work!   Great
> 	  job Bart!

Work on the rt2x00 project has also progressed to a point where the
drivers are getting much closer to being useful, so eventually all this
work will have been in vain.

> 	- vt66* wireless drivers.  These VIA drivers are being actively
> 	  worked on to get into a much better shape.  Nice job.

And do they come with their own wireless stack too?

> 	- otus.  This is sitting here until a "real" wireless driver
> 	  will be merged through the wireless tree.  Hopefully that
> 	  happens soon.

ar9170 has been in for a while now, it's just not quite at feature
parity yet -- however that also means otus will get no work whatsoever
from any of the wireless folks. Draw your own conclusions. Personally, I
would drop it and let the users figure out whether they can live with
ar9170 or need to support work on it.

> 	- agnx wireless driver.  No one seems to care about it.  If no
> 	  one steps up soon, it will be removed in .33.

Never really worked and the reverse engineered (!) hardware specs are
incomplete, with the main developer having given up. I think it's fair
to say that this is a dead end. I suspect the hardware isn't even
manufactured any more, at least I haven't recently seen it.

> 	- at76_usb wireless driver.  Again, no one working on it, it
> 	  will be dropped in .33.

There's at76c...something...-usb now, with a situation similar to the
ar9170/otus one.

> 	- stlc45xx.  Another wireless driver that no one seems to care
> 	  about.  So sad.  I guess no one will miss it when it goes away
> 	  in .33.

p54spi has gotten probably 95% of the functionality of this, so it's
only really useful for looking at the calibration data loading on the
N800/N810 platform...

johannes