How to run this (was Re: Linux Driver Project Status Report as of June 2009)

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 09:47:48 UTC 2009

Greg et al,

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Greg KH<greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 01:09:59PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>> Goal one (write drivers) has been very successful.  Myself and many
>> other members of the LDP have written new drivers for a wide range of
>> different hardware devices, and gotten them merged into the main kernel
>> tree.  Several more are currently under development and we are averaging
>> about 2 querys a month for different drivers from different companies.
>>
>  <...>
> Advanced Tasks:
>  Write a new driver from scratch, or modify an existing driver for new
>  hardware.

IMO:

Most (out-of-tree) device driver authors are not (at all, or not
deeply) involved with programming the kernel.

There is a gap between the kernel developers and the (occasional)
device driver programmer, who usually has to add Linux support for one
or a handful of devices.

When I joined the Linux (Device) Driver Project, I would have expected
more sharing of knowledge/tips/reviews on device driver programming;
i.e. starting off where LDD3 ends and getting real-world stuff in
working order into the upstream kernel.

 I've been posting questions here and there (LKML) and sometimes I get
helpful answers and learn something new each day,

Thanks for LDP and for your valuable time,

Leon 'Currently plumbing along trying to add splice support to my
character driver' Woestenberg.