GigEVision support

Falco Hirschenberger falco.hirschenberger at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Wed Jul 8 15:50:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

I think Linux can really benefit from an open kernel-based GigEVision
driver.

GigEVision[1] is a proprietary closed standard for controlling
high-quality video cameras over gigabit-ethernet. These cameras are
often used in industrial vision software. This driver can be a great
benefit for the industrial vision industry, because using small embedded
Linux systems is in the trend there.

Some manufacturers provide closed-source drivers for Linux because of
the NDA which they signed at the AIA (Automated Imaging Association).
[2], [3]
Some provide no drivers but I think these cameras will work with a
generic driver because they have to implement the standard to get certified.

I have written a proof-of-concept userlevel driver by means of sniffing
and reverse-engineering, but some features are missing and I think I
will need some help to implement the rest. Btw. a kernel driver would
perform a lot better.

I hope this list is the correct place for this suggestion, feel free to
forward it to another place.

Regards,
	Falco

[1] http://www.machinevisiononline.org/public/articles/index.cfm?cat=167