TW6800 based video capture boards (updates)

Domenico Andreoli cavokz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 15:14:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 07:39:59AM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2008 04:00:28 +0200, Domenico Andreoli <cavokz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >   I have some shining boards based on Techwell TW6802 and a "working"
> > V4L2 driver provided by the producer. Ah.. I have also the specs of
> > those TW6802 chips. Everything has been purchased by my employer.
> >
> > Now I am eager to publish everything but I can't right now. My employer
> > would not understand and I would be in a difficult position. He already
> > knows that those drivers are based on GPL software and then _are_ GPL
> > at all the effects but he still needs to completely understand how it
> > works. Those guys are always happy to use Linux for free but at the
> > time of giving anything back...
> >
> > To make the long story short, I want to rewrite them. So, how do
> > you judge my (legal) position? Yes, you are not a lawyer but I would
> > appreciate any related advice anyway ;)
>
> I think this will depend if you have a signed NDA or not, and what are their
> terms. Better to consult a lawyer ;)

I finally got the clearance few weeks ago :)

> > Since I am a kernel newbie I am expecting to receive lots of "leave
> > V4L2 to expert coders..." but I will try anyway. You are warned :)
>
> Just do your work and submit us the code. We'll analyse it and point for
> issues, if needed ;) If you have any doubts about V4L2, I can help you.

The new driver, named tw68xx, is able to capture video only.  My wish
is to make it stable and production ready as soon as possible.

So at the beginning no audio, no TS, no VBI and no overlay are
supported. These functionalities would be added with time, boards
and users.

I am already collecting people willing to help writing and test stuff :)

> Please, always c/c v4l ML when submitting your driver[1]. You may also c/c
> other lists, like LKML. This will allow people to review it.

I plan to publish it for a first revision by the end of January.

Currently it is an external module and I would maintain that way until
it is ready for the merge to the Linus' tree. This way I have not to
follow a specific tree. Would it be ok for reviewers?

cheers,
Domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://www.dandreoli.com/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50