RTL8192SU driver help

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 20:49:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Dinesh Joshi <dinesh.a.joshi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>> Yes, download a kernel.org kernel, select this module, and build the
>> whole thing.
>
> I have tried the Ubuntu's mainline 2.6.32 kernel. I dont think this
> module was included in the build but I will manually compile a
> kernel.org kernel and try it out.

And for FWIW I doubt Ubuntu sauce touched anything having to do with
staging drivers. What I can't really stand about Ubuntu kernels is the
extraversion modifications but at least there is a map which can help:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/info/kernel-version-map.html

So it seems the user's 2.6.31-15 is 2.6.31.4 the latest is 2.6.31.6
but I see no differences for this driver:

mcgrof at tux ~/linux-2.6-allstable (git::linux-2.6.31.y)$ git log
v2.6.31.4..v2.6.31.6 drivers/staging/rtl8192su/

In fact I see no stable fixes that went in at all for 2.6.31 for that driver.

Instead of trying 2.6.31 yourself you are better of just going to
2.6.32 where there are a vast amount of updates to that driver.

 Luis