RTL8192SU driver help

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Dec 3 19:13:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 01:01:33PM -0500, Dinesh Joshi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> > I suggest filing bugs in Ubuntu's bug database if you are using their
> > kernels.
>
> Will do that shortly.
>

> > If you use a kernel.org kernel, then we can help you out.
>
> I can try it out. But specifically why would I need to use a
> kernel.org kernel? This driver is a kernel module, right?

Yes, download a kernel.org kernel, select this module, and build the
whole thing.

If you've never done this before, there is a book, Linux Kernel in a
Nutshell, free online, that describes the process involved in this.

> >> The log is truncated. The last error keeps looping for a few times.
> >> When I place the firmware in the /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU directory,
> >> and plugin the device, I get a kernel panic.
> >
> > What is the exact panic?
>
> I was not able to capture the error messages as the system locked up.
> Could you suggest a way of capturing the messages?

digital camera and send us the picture?

> > Can you try the 2.6.32 kernel?  It has some fixes for this driver in it.
>
> As I said earlier, I can try it out but is it possible for me to just
> build the correct modules? or does this driver require features
> specifically in .32?

Drivers in Linux are tied to the kernel version.  You need the whole
thing.

> Also, I'm planning to try out the new kernel in a VM. Since this is a
> USB device, I can pass full control to the virtualized installation of
> linux. Is that fine or should I test it out on a physical machine?

Physical machine is needed.

> Also, if I'm trying out the 2.6.32 machine, could you tell me which
> flags should I need to enable / pay attention to so that I'm sure
> compile the correct drivers?

See the above reference.

But first, I'd say work with Ubuntu, this sounds like something they can
handle for you.

good luck,