wireless drivers in staging

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Aug 21 16:07:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:31:55AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Is anyone working specifically on any/all of the wireless drivers
> in drivers/staging?  I don't mean the odd patch or two, but actually
> focusing on cleaning-up and/or improving one of the wireless drivers
> in staging until it becomes ready for mainline.

Based on the patches I have received over the past few weeks, there are
a number of developers working on different drivers.

Here's some that are obviously doing work:
	- Bart is working on some of the RealTek drivers (rtl8187se) and
	  on merging the different Ralink drivers in the staging tree
	  (rt2860, rt2870, rt3070, and rt3090) together into one simpler
	  driver.
	- Pekka was working on the w35und wireless driver, I don't know
	  if he has a device or not.
	- Forest and Jim are working on the Via wireless drivers (vt6655
	  and vt6656) and are trying to merge them together and then
	  clean them up more.
	- I personally am working on the RealTek 8192e driver as I have
	  a device and a data sheet and have to support it for my
	  employer.

There are others doing lots of general cleanups to the staging wireless
drivers, but I'm not sure they plan on doing more than that.  If I have
missed anyone, please feel free to speak up.

If anyone is looking for stuff to do, I think it's obvious that a number
of these drivers do need help :)

> If so, I would like to hear from you!  Could you reply and let me know
> what you are doing, what your goals are, if you have a plan, etc?
> I would just like to make sure everyone is communicating and try to
> get everyone working together productively.

I'll speak for myself only on this.  My plan for the rtl8921e driver is
to clean it up, move it over to the existing wireless stack in the
kernel, and then submit it for inclusion in your main
drivers/net/wireless/ tree.

The code is currently using a very old version of the wireless stack, so
it isn't going to be that difficult to do.

I've already done a bit of work on the existing driver, and with the
help from some people at RealTek, fixed some bugs that were found.
Hopefully my contacts with them will not disappear as they have in the
past.

> P.S.  If anyone is interested in using a wireless driver in staging
> as a resource for reverse engineering rather than as a porting target,
> I would love to hear from you too.

Personally I like taking an existing, working driver, and slowly moving
it over to something else, all the while testing that I didn't break
anything, instead of writing a new one from scratch.

But that's just me, perhaps because I also don't know the wireless stack
all that well.  If I did, it might be easier to start from scratch :)

Might I ask what you need this info for?