[patch 2/5] Staging: vme: add VME userspace driver

Martyn Welch martyn.welch at gefanuc.com
Wed Aug 12 12:19:44 UTC 2009

Emilio G. Cota wrote:
> Martyn Welch wrote:
>> However, I also need to consider other cases, such as communications
>> between multiple SBCs and potentially a few slave devices. I have a need
>> for this *now*, not in the future. To me, slave support and to a lesser
>> degree location monitor support is important now, hence why it's
>> supported in my driver and core. Hence why I am asking, how do you
>> propose to support these features?
>
> Point taken.
>
> Could you tell me a bit more about your needs on this respect?
> So, you have multiple SBCs (some of them as masters, some others
> as slaves) running Linux and want to communicate between them?

Yes - though potentially each card will be both a master and a slave.

> Have you got working code for all that?

In so far as the VME core and tsi-148 driver supports the required functionality, I believe so. We have systems supporting this, though currently with different OSes. We also have a bit of legacy Linux VME code, using the old style of interface. At the moment my priority is less on individual applications and more focused towards ensuring we have a robust API which will support all the features we are likely to require for the chipsets that we have in our products.

We have briefly talked about a "Ethernet over VME" like the "Ethernet over RapidIO" driver, however, this currently isn't top priority.

Martyn

--
Martyn Welch MEng MPhil MIET (Principal Software Engineer)   T:+44(0)127322748
GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms Ltd,        |Registered in England and Wales