[patch 2/5] Staging: vme: add VME userspace driver

Emilio G. Cota cota at braap.org
Mon Aug 10 20:05:26 UTC 2009

Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 02:17:16PM +0200, Emilio G. Cota wrote:
> > > Instead of using that we implemented a heretic IOCTL-based
> > > interface for user-space; at least with it you could create a
> > > driver (with no interrupt support) for a device in user-space.
>
> Why not just use the UIO interface instead of creating
> yet-another-kernel/user-api?
>
> Will that interface not work for what you want to use here?

Certainly. I didn't mean we'd like to see that merged. Currently
we make extensive use of IOCTLs because we are maintaining
kernel and user-space code for two platforms/OSes (ppc-lynx and
x86-linux), and not having access to lynx' source code doesn't
help. So IOCTLs are pretty much everywhere, much to my regret.

E.