[patch 0/5] [ANNOUNCE] VME Bus drivers and framework for Linux

Emilio G. Cota cota at braap.org
Sat Aug 8 22:25:53 UTC 2009

Greg K-H wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's 5 patches from Martyn Welch that adds VME Bus support to the
> kernel.
>
> Martyn took the time and merged the three different existing
> implementations for Linux together into something that works, and got
> the proper legal agreements from all of the affected parties to release
> the code properly.
>
> I'd like to thank him for taking the time to do this work, it is much
> appreciated.
>
> These patches all add the code under the drivers/staging/ directory, as
> there is still a number of things that needs to be done to clean up the
> code to get it into "proper" mergable state, but it's a great first cut.
>
> Thanks again Martyn!
>
> greg k-h

whoops just spotted this.. I had allocated next month for working
on this, i.e. getting VME support into the kernel.

I work at CERN where we have hundreds of VME crates; we're
currently moving from LynxOS to real-time linux. The VME chipset
we're using is the tsi148, for which Sebastien Dugue wrote a
driver at the beginning of the year.

I'll reply to each of the relevant patches to comment on them.
Regards,
E.