TW6800 based video capture boards

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue May 27 03:54:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 04:00:28AM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have some shining boards based on Techwell TW6802 and a "working"
> V4L2 driver provided by the producer. Ah.. I have also the specs of
> those TW6802 chips. Everything has been purchased by my employer.
>
> Now I am eager to publish everything but I can't right now. My employer
> would not understand and I would be in a difficult position. He already
> knows that those drivers are based on GPL software and then _are_ GPL
> at all the effects but he still needs to completely understand how it
> works. Those guys are always happy to use Linux for free but at the
> time of giving anything back...
>
> To make the long story short, I want to rewrite them. So, how do
> you judge my (legal) position? Yes, you are not a lawyer but I would
> appreciate any related advice anyway ;)

Talk to your managers and your company before sending us any code that
you have written based on reading these specs.  Once you send it, and
"sign-off-by" on it, then you are stating that legally you do have the
right to send that code, and we will trust you.

But if you didn't have that right, your employer might be very upset
with you, and we don't want that.

So please, talk to them, not us, we don't know the contracts you or your
employer has signed, only you do.