on patch "DVB: add firesat driver" in staging.git

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Tue Jun 17 15:53:52 UTC 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:28:07 +0200
Stefan Richter <stefanr at s5r6.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Stefan Richter wrote:
> > This means that firesat needs to be ported to the new stack eventually.
> > The question remains if that should be done before mainline submission
> > or after.  I tend to the latter,
>
> http://forum.digital-everywhere.com/viewforum.php?f=34 shows that people
> are eager to test the driver.  One user even posted an own small fixup
> patch there.  I.e. we should get it into mainline sooner rather than
> later.  A conversion to the new firewire stack would be easier after
> mainline merge anyway, from the development POV.
>
> Mauro, did the status regarding the driver's interface with the DVB
> subsystem change since your comment in April?
> http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2008-April/000382.html

Yes. The issues I've pointed there were fixed.

Still, the remote controller handling seems to be using a bad approach. Instead of
registering a key table, and allowing IR code redefinition, the firesat-rc has
a hardcoded table that returns a keycode, instead of a scancode. This seems bad,
since newer IR's may have a different scancode table. Also, I suspect that this
approach doesn't allow the loading of other keys, if you want to use a
different IR with more keys. IMO, it would be interesting to get Dmitry's
review for the input code.

Cheers,
Mauro