Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008

Robert M. Albrecht romal at gmx.de
Mon Apr 28 17:25:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

Fedoras Mike McGrath has started Smolt. Smolt is included since Fedora 7
and supports Ubuntu, Suse, ...

Smolt collects hw-informations and sends them to a central server. This is
done once while installation and regulary while running the system.

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/smolt

Example: if you want to know, which network interfaces are used:

http://smolts.org/static/stats/by_class_NETWORK.html

The idea was discussed to link this data to wiki-pages, so users can
contribute to a hw-database: drivers, howtos, status reports, ...

I think it has failed before, because the database would be large and needs
to be updated very often. But Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap shows, this is
possible. If every user does only contribute his two PCs, we could cover
all eixsting hardware.

cu romal

Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008
Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Apr 8 21:20:15 PDT 2008