USB v4l driver rework needed

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Apr 10 04:48:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:26:34PM -0700, Aubin LaBrosse wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>> <breaking threading so people wake up...>
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:48:53AM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

>>> I agree that it is interesting to merge it. But this will need someone
>>> with enough
>>> time to dedicate. Volunteers?
>>>

>> If anyone wants to help out with this, please take a look at the above
>> patch and let me know.
>>
>> I'm swamped with other work in this tree, as well as getting wireless
>> usb merged in, so am lacking in the time for this specific driver.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> greg k-h
>>
> well, i was just telling Mauro off-list that I was interested in getting
> into V4L/DVB, but I don't have hardware to test.  so if there's a sample
> somewhere that can be mailed out, I'm game, else I'll have to take on one
> of the "non-hardware" projects in V4L.  also, I'm a kernel noob, so if you
> don't think I can do it as a first project, I might have to pass (but I'm a
> quick study, so I might be able to handle it - it'll be slow though - not
> cause I don't have the time, but because I'll be learning the whole way)

Working with existing code is much easier than starting from scratch.

I would recommend taking the above patch, applying it, and then doing
some small cleanups, like coding style fixes based on recommendations
from running the scripts/checkpatch.pl script.  Generate a patch for
that and send it to me.

That whole process will get you up and learning how the whole process
works, and should be a great place to start.

After that, we can move to more complex things that are needed for this
driver, and ones that will require the hardware for testing (which I can
send you.)

If you have any questions about any of this, please let me know.

thanks for offering to help, I really appreciate it.