Change in how projects are going to work.

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Apr 10 04:23:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:48:53AM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:18:32 -0700
> Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:36:30PM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > Ok, looking at the video input drivers:
> > >
> > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/ldp/dvb-add-firesat-driver.patch
> > >
> > > This driver seems to need a major rework. It mixes IR, frontend/tuner and
> > > bridge in the same driver. The better is to split this on small pieces, and use
> > > the callbacks provided by dvb core.
> >
> > I agree, it, and all of these need work, that's why they are in my tree
> > and not sent to you yet :)
> >
> > I just got a huge update for this driver an hour ago, and will merge it
> > in over the next few days.
>
> Ok. If you want, you may send the driver for me to review.

I will do that when we are finished with it, thanks for the offer.

> > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/ldp/usb-add-sensoray-2255-v4l-driver.patch
> > >
> > > - The biggest issue here seems to be having the binary firmware enclosed inside
> > > the firmware. Also, we've just found a few bugs on videobuf-vmalloc. This may
> > > help to solve some pending problems.
> >
> > Ah, thanks for the pointer.  Yes, the firmware is the most obvious
> > issue, one that is easy to address, I just haven't done it yet (patches
> > gladly accepted...)
>
> The firmware is easy to technically address. It is important, however, to find
> a way to legally distribute it.

We have legal approval from the company to distribute it.  We are
working with the company itself for this, and all of these drivers, so
this isn't a problem.

> On a quick view, the remaining of the code seems to be fine. Of course, some
> adjustments may be needed. I suspect it won't be hard to merge this one.

Nice to know.  Once I get the firmware taken care of, I'll send it for
review.