State of Linux webcam support

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Sep 28 18:09:40 UTC 2007

Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 07:38:17PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Greg KH wrote:

>>> Yes, work with the existing Linux video driver developers.  They need
>>> all the help they can get.
>>> More information about them can be found at http://linuxtv.org
>>> That being said, I have no objection to people helping on this project
>>> to take some of the current out-of-tree drivers and cleaning them up to
>>> get them included in the main kernel source tree.  That would be an
>>> immense help that the people here could provide.
>>> Does anyone want to pick up one of the above mentioned drivers, or any
>>> of the other ones floating around on the net, and do this?
>> Actually I've been toying with the idea to work on the UVC webcam driver to
>> make it suitable for upstream / mainstream kernel merging. I haven't
>> contacted the UVC developers about this yet, as I've been swamped with
>> other stuff.
>
> There is already a developer, Brandon (on the CC:) who is actively
> working on this.  You might want to work with him, if he needs any help.
> His response might be delayed as he is traveling this weekend across
> the globe...

Cool,

Brandon anything I can do to help? I've some kernel driver writing experience
(2 in kernel hwmon drivers are maintained by me, 3th and 4th one pending) and
plenty of embeddedsystems and generic C programming experience.

>> But if the linuxdriverproject could help me in someway to do this that
>> would be great!
>>
>> Actually I think that helping existing drivers reach the mainline might be
>> a very worthwhile goal to add to the list of goals for this projects in
>> general.
>
> I agree, feel free to edit the wiki and propose some drivers here on the
> list that fall under that category.  Off the top of my head, I know of a
> few...

I'm afraid my list currently is only 1 long: UVC, but I think adding a list of
candidates for this to the wiki is a great idea!

Regards,

Hans