Out of tree drivers [was Re: Larger projects]

Jason linuxdriverproject at lakedaemon.net
Fri Oct 19 18:33:10 UTC 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Jason schrieb:
>> Greg KH wrote:
>>> Ok, what others do people know about?  How about we start a list here.
>>> Here are ones that I know about:
>>>     comedi
>>>     speakup
>>>     acer hotkey driver    http://www.cakey.de/acerhk/
>>>     acx wireless driver    http://acx100.sourceforge.net/
>>>     adm8211 wierless driver    http://aluminum.sourmilk.net/adm8211/
>>>     webcam driver        http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html
>>>     ivtv video driver    http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page
>>>     kqemu driver        http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
>>>     omnibook kernel driver    http://sourceforge.net/projects/omnibook
>>>     panasonic hotkey driver    http://www.da-cha.jp/letsnote
>>>     parallel port hardware
>>> http://www-stud.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~voegelas/pcf.html
>>>     another webcam driver    http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/
>>>     lirc            (not going upstream due to developer not
>>>                 wanting it there.)
>>>

>>> Anyone know of others?
>>
>> Micronas Go7007.  Driver is here [1], I personally use it with [2] for
>> MythTV.  I could pitch in on it as well.
>>
>> This would be my first work for lk, though.  I'm relatively new to
>> kernelspace.  Recently, I patched  Intel's [3] GPL and BSD code for the
>> ixp400_eth driver to work against vanilla 2.6.18.8 running on an ixp425
>> (baby steps to current :-) ).
>>
>> Speaking of ixp400_eth, would it be possible to merge that one as well?
>>  They have a very clean licensing line.  The patch to the kernel tree is
>> GPL (for ixp400_eth.ko), the code outside the tree (for ixp400.ko) is
>> BSD, and the firmware is IPL [4].  How big of an issue is the
>> firmware/IPL?
>
> An even better ixp400 patch was posted by Krzysztof Halasa on lkml in
> May 2007. There was some vivid discussion, but I didn't see any follow
> ups since then.

Do you have a link?

> Speaking of which opens yet another Pandora's box - projects like
> OpenWRT or NSLU2-Linux (which already use Krzysztof's ixp400 patches)
> always patch the kernels quite a bit in order to support all these ARM
> and MIPS devices... Slowly, some of these patches get merged into
> mainline, though, but sometimes, it looks like they might need some help.

The patch I've currently put together allows ixp400 code to compile
against *vanilla* 2.6.18.8.  I'm in the process of testing in now.  Once
I make sure it runs, I'll start moving the patch toward targeting the
mainline kernel.

I initially tried to make it compile against 2.6.23, but there were too
many changes to do it right.  So, I figured I'd start with 2.6.18.8
(only because it was the closest gentoo stable vanilla kernel to the
version Intel/Timesys suggested using), then move up making small
changes along the way.

Jason.