Out of tree drivers [was Re: Larger projects]

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Oct 19 06:28:30 UTC 2007

Greg KH wrote:
 > Originally, I set up this project to work with different companies and
 > help them out with creating new drivers.  But that work isn't happening
 > fast enough to keep up with the number of developers who have signed up
 > for this project (310 right now!)
 >
 > So, what do people think?  Should we take these projects on, to help
 > existing projects get their code cleaned up and into the main tree?

Yes! This way we get better hardware support for distro's where the kernel
maintainers don't want to go through the pain of patching all these drivers in
(Fedora for example) and less work (and thus more time for bug fixing) for
distros which do patch them all in (ubuntu).

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 01:13:35AM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
>> I think this is quite interesting... there's a lot of goodies
>> out-of-mainline that should get merged...
>
> Ok, what others do people know about?  How about we start a list here.
> Here are ones that I know about:
> 	comedi
> 	speakup
> 	acer hotkey driver	http://www.cakey.de/acerhk/
> 	acx wireless driver	http://acx100.sourceforge.net/
> 	adm8211 wierless driver	http://aluminum.sourmilk.net/adm8211/
> 	webcam driver		http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html
> 	ivtv video driver	http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page
> 	kqemu driver		http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
> 	omnibook kernel driver	http://sourceforge.net/projects/omnibook
> 	panasonic hotkey driver	http://www.da-cha.jp/letsnote
> 	parallel port hardware	http://www-stud.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~voegelas/pcf.html
> 	another webcam driver	http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/
Good list!

> 	lirc			(not going upstream due to developer not
> 				wanting it there.)

Actually some RedHat developers are (successfully AFAIK) working on getting
lirc upstream.

Here are some more for the list:
	uvc usb video class	Someone from suse is working on getting
				this merged
	zaptel (for asterisk)	http://ftp.digium.com/pub/telephony/firmware/releases/
	gspca			http://mxhaard.free.fr/

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

We really should put the list on the wiki.