[PRJ007] tty over TCP driver needed

Jay York jay_york at verizon.net
Thu Oct 18 02:34:19 UTC 2007

On Oct 17, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Greg KH wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 04:20:47PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>> A: No.
>> Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 06:53:07PM -0400, Jay York wrote:
>>> Can you say, "telnet?"  Can you say, "pty?"
>>
>> I might be totally missing something, but how to you send line
>> speed and
>> flow control settings over telnet?  Even with a pty, you can't do
>> that.
>>
>> Here's a bit more information.  This device is a box, that you plug a
>> ethernet cable into, and a serial port comes out of.  On the
>> remote end,
>> you connect to the device, and it needs to look like you are directly
>> controling that serial port, line settings and flow control and all.
>
> Oh, and some of these devices are 1 ethernet, multiple serial ports,
> requiring the protocol to support multiple endpoints on the same TCP
> connection.  Again, just like usb-serial devices.

1.  It's called a console server, or a terminal server, depending on
whether it performs the multiplexing or demultiplexing function.
These have been around for twenty years, and they don't require
device drivers.
2.  To reiterate:  a) this is a solved problem, b) with a strictly
user-space solution.
3.  Greg, kindly take me off this list.  Deregister me, deactivate my
account, whatever.

Thanks.

-Jay