[PRJ007] tty over TCP driver needed

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Oct 18 00:15:38 UTC 2007

A: No.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 05:05:36PM -0700, Mathew Cucuzella wrote:
> I think telnet/pty is the reverse of the solution (kind of). It provides a
> network interface to a remote serial port, giving the remote end the
> appearance of being on a real tty.  We are looking for a serial interface to
> a serial interface, with the network in between.
>
> It might be possible to write a driver that provides the local serial
> interface on one side )possibly ptys), and uses the telnet protocol on the
> other. This would require the remote box to support telnetd. I'm not
> suggesting this is a good idea.

Neither would I, and how would line settings work here?  I think the
protocol on the device is already fixed, as they have working drivers
for other operating systems, and would probably not want to change them
just for Linux :)

> An important question here, is what does the remote box support as its TCP
> interface?

I don't know, that is in the specs for the device, I haven't looked at
them yet.