Status report, October 16, 2007

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Oct 17 21:40:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 08:59:41PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Currently, I'm talking with about 3-4 new companies about more projects,
> > and am working on a list of external modules that need to get cleaned up
> > and added to the kernel tree that this project can help out with.
> >
> > But what we are really lacking right now is more companies involvement.
> > If anyone can think of a way to drum up more company interest, please
> > let me know.
>
> Was Linux Driver Project established only to work with companies?

To start with, yes, it was, as there was no project that did that.

> There is a considerable amount of working drivers with a free license
> out there which are not in the main kernel, for various reasons.

I agree, and we have started to pick up some of these types of drivers,
but we need to get some kind of approval from the original driver
authors in order to make it work.  Project 005 is currently one of these
types of projects.

> Here's my short list:
>
> 1. linux-wlan project
>
> http://linux-wlan.org/
>
> Still, they have drivers for some wireless devices not available in the
> main kernel.

They are currently working directly with the Linux wireless developers,
and know how to get code into the tree if they want to.  I'm not too
worried about them.  But if they want our help, I'm sure we could do so.
Have you asked them?

> 2. driver for crypto engine cards
>
> For Linux 2.2 and 2.4 only:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hifn7951/
> http://soekris.com/vpn1401.htm

Nice, but I think we need further crypto core work in order to be able
to properly integrate this to Linux, right?

> Yes, it would be best to talk to a given project's maintainer, but
> sometimes, there is no active maintainer anymore...

But we need to at least try :)