Status report, October 16, 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Oct 17 18:59:41 UTC 2007

Greg KH wrote:

> Currently, I'm talking with about 3-4 new companies about more projects,
> and am working on a list of external modules that need to get cleaned up
> and added to the kernel tree that this project can help out with.
>
> But what we are really lacking right now is more companies involvement.
> If anyone can think of a way to drum up more company interest, please
> let me know.

Was Linux Driver Project established only to work with companies?

There is a considerable amount of working drivers with a free license
out there which are not in the main kernel, for various reasons.

Here's my short list:

1. linux-wlan project

http://linux-wlan.org/

Still, they have drivers for some wireless devices not available in the
main kernel.

2. driver for crypto engine cards

For Linux 2.2 and 2.4 only:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hifn7951/
http://soekris.com/vpn1401.htm

Yes, it would be best to talk to a given project's maintainer, but
sometimes, there is no active maintainer anymore...

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org